The keto (ketogenic) diet is a new trend in food nutrition. The keto diet began to gain the greatest popularity in 2017 and continues to this day.
The keto diet is an approach to a healthy lifestyle. Preference is given to natural food products in accordance with the needs of the human body with the presence of fat and low carbohydrate content.
The ketogenic diet is the latest version of a low-carb diet.
Principles of Keto Diet
The main principle of the keto diet is low-carb foods. The ketogenic diet is based on the processing of body fatty acids. The breakdown of animal fats that enter the body with carbohydrate-free foods is the key to a healthy diet with this method.
The low-carb keto diet is very popular with obesity, among people who want to lose weight or stay healthy.
With a minimum or complete absence of carbohydrates in the body, fat burning occurs quickly, a person begins to lose weight. Fat is first removed from the body and processed into fatty acids and then into the keto body.
The ketone body is a fat-breaking product produced by the liver. With active energy expenditure or prolonged fasting, in order to gain energy, the body begins to decompose its own stored fat.
The breakdown of fat and the formation of ketone bodies is called ketogenesis and is a completely natural process for the human body. Ketogenesis does not cause drastic weight loss.
Keto diet features
The characteristic of the keto diet is the replacement of the energy source supplied - carbohydrates for fat, or more precisely the decomposition product - the ketone body. To reorganize the body and based on individual characteristics, it is necessary to reduce the amount of carbohydrates consumed from 50 to 20 grams per day. It will take 2 to 4 weeks for the body to fully adapt to the new nutritional system. The peak form of fat burning is achieved by following a balanced diet.
The specialty of keto diets from all other diet types is the limited amount of carbohydrates in the body, low protein content and the presence of fat. Daily carbohydrate intake should not exceed 20 grams per day. Ketones, the by-products of animal fats that the body uses to produce energy, must have a fat to protein and carbohydrate ratio of 2 to 1. To maintain a normal metabolism, the body needs to get a lot of fat. 75% of the calories in your daily diet should come from fat, the rest is carbohydrates and protein. The daily caloric intake of the product should not exceed 5000 kcal. Diet does not limit meal time, you can eat safely after 18 hours.
The less a person eats foods high in carbohydrates, the more effective the diet in suppressing hunger.
The main part of the daily diet must be fat, followed by protein and last but not least - carbohydrates. The special feature of this diet, unlike any other, is the unlimited salt intake here, which restores electrolyte balance.
At the beginning of the diet, you should gradually reduce the amount of carbohydrates consumed.
With the principle of adhering to a keto diet for weight loss, a person can lose 3-5 kilograms in a month easily without endangering their health, and reducing the amount of adipose tissue.
Athletes tend to adhere to a cyclic ketogenic diet, burn fat, their body becomes more prominent, and muscle mass increases. The reason for these changes lies in the transformation of the hormonal background and the increased process of growth hormone formation. Dietary principles are strictly regulated by exercise plans.
Benefits of the Keto Diet
The benefits of the keto diet have been scientifically proven and approved by nutritionists. In addition to losing or maintaining weight, skin, hair, nail conditions improve, food metabolism is normalized, metabolism improves, and immunity is increased.
Studies show that people who are overweight and have high cholesterol, following a keto diet for 56 weeks, not only lose more than 25 kilograms, but they increase their blood sugar and cholesterol levels significantly.
Carefully, doctors recommend adhering to a diet for cancer patients. It is known that cancer cells actively consume glucose, completely excluding it from the diet and adhering to a carbohydrate-free diet, diseased cells gradually lose their activity.
For lovers of free weight loss, without a medical prescription, the easiest diet option is suitable - keto lifestyle.
Ketogenic diets are widely used among athletes in sports that require high endurance: marathons, triathlon, cycling, extreme sports.
This diet encourages fat burning for efficient production of energy sources, thus contributing to the conservation and economic use of glycogen (animal essence) during prolonged intensive activities.
The obvious benefits of a keto diet are increased general well-being, emotional mood, energy surges, increased efficiency, increased brain activity.
A ketogenic diet is more about a healthy diet, but only healthy people can follow it on their own. Before starting such a diet, you should consult a specialist, he will tell you what the trap gap is and the best way to get out in the event of a health deterioration.
Lack of keto diet
Compared to other weight loss diets, ketogenic diets are more effective, but long-term adherence can lead to different consequences.
The disadvantage of the keto diet is that it is not suitable for everyone. When glucose levels are low, the body's glycogen storage is depleted. With the sharp transition from a regular diet to a ketogenic diet, many people experience dizziness, weakness and drowsiness, and difficulty coordinating.
If you experience the following symptoms, you should stop following a ketogenic diet:
- decreased performance and decreased concentration;
- increased fatigue;
- unpleasant pungent odor of acetone from mouth;
- difficulties with the digestive process;
- low blood volume;
- frequent urination;
- constant dry mouth;
- decreased appetite.
- lack of minerals and vitamins in the body.
Against the background of high-fat ketone diet, there is an excess of ammonia in the blood, which causes toxic poisoning of the body and disruption of hormone levels.
In the first week of the diet, you may experience chills or fever, fatigue, mild nausea, irritability. You need to drink as much water as possible. Symptoms usually go away within a week, and the body gradually adapts to gaining energy from fat storage.
To adjust the diet, a special test strip is used, which shows the levels of ketones and glucose in the blood.
List of foods that are allowed and prohibited on the keto diet
Eating this way must be approached wisely. There is a specific list of foods that are allowed and prohibited in the keto diet.
First, let's see what you can eat with a keto diet:
- You can eat all kinds of meat: beef, pork, chicken, turkey, smoked meats.
- Allowed to eat seafood and all fatty fish: salmon, chum salmon, mackerel.
- Various dairy products: fat cottage cheese and yogurt, cream, cheese, butter.
- You can add seasoning while cooking. Vegetable salads can be seasoned with olive oil or vegetable oil.
- Nuts, berries and seeds are allowed for snacks.
- From the allowed fruits: avocado, lemon, lemon, but if you want something different, it is acceptable.
- Chicken eggs.
- Diet must contain water, sugar-free tea, coffee, mineral water. You must drink at least 2 liters of fluid daily.
- You can drink dry wine and strong alcohol: a glass of dry wine contains no more than 4-5 grams of carbohydrates, and it is not found in vodka at all.
- Of the vegetables, preference is given to low-carb vegetables, according to the principle: those that grow in the ground should not be (carrots, beets, potatoes), and those that may be on the ground (cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbage, zucchini, green onions, lettuce). All fatty foods correspond to green.
Diet Keto Prohibited:
- all kinds of legumes and grains - peas, beans, peas, corn;
- low-fat dairy products - low-fat cottage cheese, milk, cream, yogurt, fermented roasted milk, yogurt, kefir, varenet;
- sugar, sugary drinks, restructured juices, sodas, sweets;
- should not use snacks, chips and crackers;
- all starchy vegetables: potatoes, pumpkin;
- should release rice, cereals and pasta;
- foods made with white flour: pastries, muffins, croissants, breads, pasta.
You should exclude the use of sugar, some fruit and completely dried fruit.
Contraindications to the keto diet
People with diseases of the nervous system, with diseases that accompany the destruction of nerve cells, diabetics must be approached carefully for nutrition.
There are contraindications to the keto diet for humans:
- suffers from epilepsy;
- diseases associated with motor organ disorders;
- presence of chronic diseases of the liver, kidneys;
- gastrointestinal tract;
- with high cholesterol levels.
A ketone diet is not recommended for pregnant women or certain medications.
Keto Diet: Menu for the Week
Nutritionists advise using the principle of diversity. A classic example of a week-long keto diet.
- breakfast - fatty cottage cheese without sugar and flour;
- lunch - any meat with vegetable side dishes;
- for dinner - mushrooms or chicken with ingredients.
- breakfast - avocado salad with sour cream;
- for lunch - meatballs with vegetables;
- in the evening - grilled fish with asparagus.
- breakfast - curd salad with vegetables;
- for lunch - turkey meat with broccoli;
- For dinner, you can make an American fish salad with celery stalks.
- in the morning - sliced eggs and bacon and fatty yogurt;
- for lunch - boiled chicken in sour cream sauce with vegetable side dishes;
- Dinner will consist of river fish.
- for breakfast - sugar-free cottage cheese;
- for lunch - green buckwheat with meat;
- in the evening - grilled meat with vegetables.
- breakfast - avocado salad with yogurt;
- for lunch - chicken pieces with vegetable side dishes;
- for dinner - stews and ingredients.
- breakfast - boiled eggs and fatty cottage cheese;
- for lunch - boiled beef with mushrooms;
- in the evening - chicken breast with fresh vegetables.
For afternoon snacks, you can eat nuts, avocado, berries, cheese, drink mineral water.
Recipes from the keto diet menu
The most common and simple dishes on the keto menu are scrambled eggs and bacon or cheese for breakfast. For lunch, you can eat some of the meat with herbs, green beans. Fish can be eaten in any form with vegetables for dinner. For snacks, you can eat a handful of beans. Parts can be large and small, as long as the body is saturated.
Here are some simple, complete meals that do not require extra snacks.
Fish salad:each fatty fish is boiled or boiled, cut into small pieces, add: eggs, pickled cucumber, onion, mayonnaise or 20% sour cream, youcan add a little stalk of lettuce.
Chicken with meat, boiled in sour cream with mushrooms:pieces of meat fried in olive or sunflower oil, removed from the pan while they cook, and chicken pieces are placed inplace the breasts, fry for a few minutes until golden brown, add: water, minced onion, mushrooms, fried meat, sour cream, spices and all boiled for a few more minutes.
Curd salad:Fresh cucumber, finely chopped Chinese onions and cabbage, salt and seasoning added, leave for 10 minutes, until vegetables give juice and add fatty curd, pour sour cream mixed with mayonnaise.
There are many recipes for keto diet, everyone can choose the best option for themselves from the allowed products.
This diet can be delicious and varied.
Stop the keto diet
After completing the course, in order not to damage health and get out of the keto diet, it is necessary to gradually reduce the amount of fat eaten. To maintain metabolism and to prevent the body from being stressed, you need to gradually increase your intake of carbohydrates and protein in small portions.
Along with fat, calorie intake is reduced. Vegetables, grains are gradually introduced into the diet, avoiding sugar and flour products. Daily carbohydrate intake in the first few days of the diet must be from 70 to 100 grams, it is desirable to allow protein intake at the same level.
Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
Opinion of nutritionists on keto diet
Nutritionists consider the universal ketogenic diet not only for weight loss and weight loss, but also recommend it for improved health. With proper and strict adherence to diet prescriptions, the diet should contain: 80% fat, 10% protein and 10% carbohydrates.
Dietitians have written more than 30 scientific articles, and over the years research has shown that ketogenic diets accelerate the reduction of insulin in the blood, the hormone that drives the accumulation of subcutaneous fat. Diet improves appetite control, diet suppresses the production of heating hormones, which provokes hunger. Muscle mass remains the same, the amount of subcutaneous fat is reduced.
Scientific studies show that for the treatment of certain cardiovascular diseases, a ketogenic diet is a non-drug treatment.
Eating good nutrients is not only the key to losing weight, but also has a beneficial effect on the function of the gastrointestinal tract, heart, liver and kidneys.
A balanced diet rich in fat and medium in protein and carbohydrates for a long time, supports a healthy lifestyle, prolongs youth, helps maintain good physical shape. Doctors recommend walking more in the fresh air, sleeping through the night, and having only natural products.